Monday, August 31, 2015

pastels, picasso & a promise




Georgia OKeefe


My parents told me were moving away. i remember when i went to my art teacher of 10 years to tell him. i waited two weeks to tell him. i hate endings and i hate graduations and i hate farewells and byes. i clutched the door handle and then backed away and did this same thing a few times after. finally, i went in. mr grove. he was a tall man with reddish brown hair, a mustache, and a temper. but he was the passionate person who helped me discover art. who helped me discover something that made sense of everything else. with tears swelling in my eyes i told him i was moving across the country. he told me something that stays with me forever. he said with a broken voice "don't you ever stop creating art. you promise me that." he gave me the golden portfolio that year. i never felt golden or worthy of an award, but he gave that to me and i did that day. but more importantly he gave me an education and he gave me a love for a georgia o'keefe painting in the third grade and a love for blank canvases and pastels and picasso. and i'll never stop making art. i want to make art for the rest of my life.  whether its in the way i trace your face with my fingertips or make dumb love poems like this one- i promise you i will never-stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment